Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fuji Akinaga (藤井光永) and Yamashita Akinobu (山下晃伸) Exhibit at Gallery Serikawa (芹川画廊)

As a photographer, the experience of viewing other photographers' work is always much different from how I feel when viewing paintings, which I am unable to create myself, and so have no competitive feelings about!  That preamble out of the way, here's the promotional card for a recent exhibition at Gallery Serikawa.
藤井光永 and 山下晃伸 at 芹川画廊

I focused on the photographs with a critical eye (I can't help doing that when I look at photos...), and was impressed with the way people were recorded out on the streets of Tokyo in a way that you would think the photographer would have to be invisible to do.  One picture in particular comes to mind - of a man looking meaningfully into the eyes of his girlfriend by a... square building support I think it is.  For a number of reasons, that sort of picture is not easy to take!

So, if you would like to see images of unposed inhabitants of Tokyo, I recommend going over to Gallery Serikawa and having a look by February 28th, 2010, which is the last day of the exhibit.  In addition to the prints on the wall - arranged by year - there are several scrapbooks of photos that you can peruse as well.  The back of the promotional card has instructions on how to get to the gallery:

藤井光永 and 山下晃伸 at 芹川画廊

And - it's in the cool old Okuno Building.

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/
http://ginzalyle.blogspot.com/
http://tokyoartmusic.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment